Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Favorite Pink Floyd Album?

HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
edited June 2012 in Debate & Discourse

Favorite Pink Floyd Album? 24 votes

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
4%
SATAN 1 vote
A Saucerful of Secrets
0%
Meddle
4%
SandyVagina 1 vote
Obscured by Clouds
0%
The Dark Side of the Moon
20%
OPPNolaFree810GazorpazorpfieldMEATSANDWICHTiger 5 votes
Wish You Were Here
25%
NOLAfucketh_thine_selfFIRENATHANIELHACKETTstreetsFLATmonicaa 6 votes
Animals
12%
HOODSdrinkwine732Stoned_Catz 3 votes
The Wall
33%
HeisenbergXenoChicken_Fucker...TiradesOfTruthBlindGuardian93WakeOfAshesTortureQueen 8 votes
The Final Cut
0%
The Division Bell
0%

Comments

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    The Wall
    I almost wanted to pick the Final Cut because most Floyd fans skip over how epic the album is.
  • SandyVaginaSandyVagina Posts: 618 just the tip
    Meddle
    one of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    The Wall
    I know The Wall is the "obvious" choice, but man, Comfortably Numb > every other Pink Floyd song.
    inb4lists
  • Stoned_CatzStoned_Catz Posts: 34,915 jayfacer
    Animals
    Comfortably Numb iz on the Wall dumbqueerz [-(

[-(

blue turbins

From Those Fishes - I Fingered An Old Bitch (i got Aids on my finger)

The Wall
    I know, which is why i picked it, dumbass.
    inb4lists
    Animals
    ure vanakulaur suggested Confortably Numb iza album prickface

[-(

blue turbins

• HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Animals
    Dogs > comfortably numb
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    this choice was so easy

Dogs > comfortably numb
    hahahahahaahahahahahaah
    Animals
    whats so funny, dogs guitar work is absolutely amazing. it's fucking hapiness, then evil gripping solosand awesome backround music, but the guitar work is just insane.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited June 2012
    Animals
    Dogs > comfortably numb
    hahahahahaahahahahahaah
    Lol, George is right.

Comfortably Numb is really good, but people jizz over it because of the guitar solos, which are the tits, but Dogs is better.

Credit also goes to Jake and Downnola for selecting the near 2nd to animals. The other best album ever.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    Animals
    props to Sandy, Meddle is my 2nd favorite floyd album, the first album that got them on the map!
    The Wall
    ure vanakulaur suggested Confortably Numb iza album prickface
    Comfortably Numb > every other Pink Floyd song.
    Where did i make it out to be an album?
    inb4lists
    Animals
    dogs>>>>>>>>>>>>sheep>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>pigs 3 different one>>>>>>>>>>>The Wall

[-(

blue turbins

Animals
    i love all their albums, even the old and new ones have some gems in them!
    The Wall
    My favorite aspect of Floyd music is Roger Waters intricate stories. His lyrics and concepts are like an intricate onion, there is a wealth of detail that allow the listener to find new aspects to the tunes a decade down the road.

In that respect, The Wall is far superior. The Final Cut is also amazing... You guys choosing WYWH or Animals, just like Floyd for a different reason then people choosing the Wall.
    Animals
    Yeah but Animals and WYWH were also concept albums...

ANIMALS

Animals was the child of another Waters concept; loosely based on George Orwell's political fable Animal Farm, its lyrics described various classes in society as different kinds of animals; the combative dogs, despotic ruthless pigs, and the "mindless and unquestioning herd" of sheep.[3] Whereas the novella focuses on Stalinism, the album is a critique of capitalism and differs again in that the sheep eventually rise up to overpower the dogs.[3][4] The album was developed from a collection of unrelated songs into a concept which, in the words of author Glenn Povey, "described the apparent social and moral decay of society, likening the human condition to that of mere animals."[5]
    Apart from its critique of society, the album was also in part a response to the punk rock movement,[6] which grew in popularity as a nihilistic statement against the prevailing social and political conditions, and also a reaction to the general complacency and nostalgia that appeared to surround rock music. Pink Floyd was an obvious target for punk musicians, notably Johnny Rotten, who wore a Pink Floyd t-shirt on which the words "I hate" had been written in ink. Drummer Nick Mason later stated that he welcomed the "Punk Rock insurrection" and viewed it as a welcome return to the underground scene from which Pink Floyd had grown. In 1977 he produced The Damned's second album, Music For Pleasure, at Britannia Row.[7]

In his 2008 book Comfortably Numb, author Mark Blake argues that "Dogs" contains some of David Gilmour's finest work; although the guitarist sings only one lead vocal, his performance is "explosive".[8] The song also contains notable contributions from keyboardist Richard Wright, which echo the funereal synthesiser sounds used on the band's previous album, Wish You Were Here. "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" is audibly similar to "Have a Cigar", with bluesy guitar fills and elaborate bass lines from Gilmour. Of the song's three pigs, the only one directly identified is morality campaigner Mary Whitehouse, who amongst other things is described as a "house-proud town mouse".[9] "Sheep" contains a modified version of Psalm 23, which continues the traditional "The Lord is my shepherd" with words like "he maketh me to hang on hooks in high places and converteth me to lamb cutlets" (referring to the sheep of the title). Toward the end of the song, the eponymous sheep rise up and kill the dogs, but later retire back to their homes. The album is book-ended by each half of "Pigs on the Wing", a simple love song in which a glimmer of hope is offered despite the anger expressed in the album's three other songs. Described by author Andy Mabbett as "[sitting] in stark contrast to the heavyweight material between them",[10] the two halves of the song were heavily influenced by Waters' relationship with his then girlfriend.[9][11]
    [edit]Recording

WYWH

Wish You Were Here is the second Pink Floyd album to use a conceptual theme written entirely by Waters, and echoes his feeling at the time that the camaraderie that had served the band previously was largely absent.[3] The album begins with an eight-minute, thirty seconds instrumental preamble, before segueing into the lyrics for "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". "Shine On" is a tribute to former band member Syd Barrett, whose drug-induced breakdown had forced him to leave the band several years before.[4] Barrett is fondly recalled with lines such as "Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun" and "You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon".[5]
    The album is also a critique of the music business; "Shine On" segues seamlessly into "Welcome to the Machine", which begins with the opening of a door—described by Waters as a symbol of musical discovery and progress betrayed by a music industry more interested in greed and success. The song ends with sounds from a party, epitomising "the lack of contact and real feelings between people". Similarly, "Have a Cigar" scorns record industry "fatcats", its lyrics containing well-used clichés such as "can hardly count", "they call it riding the gravy train", and "by the way, which one's Pink?"—a question actually asked of the band on at least one occasion.[6] "Wish You Were Here" contains lyrics which relate not only to Barrett's condition, but also to the dichotomy of Waters' character, as an idealist, and a domineering personality.[7] The album closes with a reprise of "Shine On", and further instrumental excursions.

That being said my favorite aspect of Floyd music is David Gilmour's guitar playing...
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    animals does nothing for me and dogs wouldnt make my top 30 fav floyd songs
    Animals
    animals does nothing for me and dogs wouldnt make my top 30 fav floyd songs
    you are absolutley insane, listen to it again. Just listen to the guitar work, whats the matter with you nephew? THat song is unbelievably epic, you are crazy.
    Animals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bqZFp7dWbg

The best part of this song is the blues in it. I really dont think you took a good listen to it cause alot in this song is sounds like alot of shit you always force down our throat on turntables... This songs ability to go from like a bluegrass type feel to rock and roll, to blues, to just straight ripping the sickest solos with great backround bluesy music, to psychodelic to a beatles type chant at the end this song has everything, youre nuts nola, youre crazy or havent really listened to the song.
    The Wall
    Yeah but Animals and WYWH were also concept albums...
    Dude, you and I are the biggest Floyd fans here- Why would you think I wouldnt know they aren't concept albums? Every album Roger Water was the lead director on is a concept album; even his three solo albums. That doesnt change the fact that the Wall concept, is more cohesive and more developed (in terms of story) then any of his other PF albums. Probably the only concept album he did that was better was "Pro's and Con's of Hitchhiking" however for that album he made the huge sacrifice of making it not radio friendly for the benefit of the concept story.

You like Gilmour's guitar work, I get it and that's a fine position to have. I personally like the intricate detail and cohesion of Roger Waters more refined concepts. We like Floyd for different reasons, deal with it.