Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

-TOP ALBUMS OF 2017 THREAD-

Comments

• MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    Like Absu are certainly blackened thrash, but their sound is rooted in thrash and they rip. Idk much bout TH tbh but I saw em open for Venom Inc and thought their music was cooler than PT
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,393 spicy boy
    slap said:
    Rutabaga said:
    Rutabaga said:
    1. Dance With The Dead - B Sides: Volume 1
    2. Lazerhawk - Dreamrider
    3. Robert Parker - Awakening
    4. Moondragon - Grand Prix
    5. Timecop1983 - Lovers Part 2
    6. Perturbator - New Model
    7. Carpenter Brut - CARPENTERBRUTLIVE
    8. DEADLIFE - Bionic Chrysalis
    9. Timestalker - Pandemonium
    10. ALEX & Tokyo Rose - Akuma
    11. Neoslave - Blood Arcade
    12. Occam's Laser - Ascension

I see that WTF slap. @ me if you got a problem hoe 
    Idk man I didn't realize you stopped listening to riffs. 
    Dance With The Dead has riffs FOH
    Synth >>>>> metal

i've listened to a couple metal albums this year but most of it is boring 
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,484 spicy boy
    Listen through and tell me there are no riffs

https://carpenterbrut.bandcamp.com/album/carpenterbrutlive
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    slap said:
    Geeks. 
    > implying a good majority of metal bands dont draw lyrical inspiration from science fiction and high fantasy novels
    yeah, and those geeky elements have been appropriated as the main imagery for synth lol. Really, 90% of metal worth a damn is nerdy, but betraying the riff in favor of 80's rip-off soundtracks is blasphemous. [-(
    edited September 2017
    The 80s >
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    Manifest Decimation > Toxic Holocaust's discography
    inb4lists
    slap said:
    yeah, and those geeky elements have been appropriated as the main imagery for synth lol. Really, 90% of metal worth a damn is nerdy, but betraying the riff in favor of 80's rip-off soundtracks is blasphemous. [-(
    Breh dont be mad. You can call it 80s ripoff, metal ripoff, whatever you want but thats just some ignorant shit unless you've actually listened to it. Yeah there's 80s ripoff shit but you have that in metal too. There's cheesy 80s ripoff shit, satanic heavy af synth, dreamy ambient synth thats perfect for toking to, synth-metal hybrids with guitar players that can fucking shred, synth pop, etc

Metalhead for life but all my favorite bands either sold out, broke up, or turned generic. Wake me up when the scene decides to innovate. Until then synth >>>>>
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,794 spicy boy
    edited September 2017
    if you were into black metal I'd be more than happy to put you up on game. Personally, I haven't listened too many 2017 releases. I've also not been buying as much new music this year cuz I've been broke. I've mostly been listening to underground black metal and death metal gems from the late 80's and early 90's this year tbh, but that's cuz I can steal that shit really easily and the riffs are ever-flowing. 

the sludge/doom scene from the mid 00's has certainly lost most it's steam, but the underground is still churning out good stuff. really I just don't get this craze with synth that's seemed to overcome a good amount of metal. but tbh, I feel like 2017 has been kind of a weak year. Like usually there's at least 30-35 releases I can speak highly of by now. This year there's like 15, and a good amount of that is local. 
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    Its been an insane year for hardcore/affiliated dun genres. Metal has been okay
    inb4lists
    Lol @ Jake being like "metal needs to innovate" then listening to rehashed 80s music

I mean...I get it, but it's still p funny
    DEATHSTAR said:
    Rock is dying
    the underground will never fucking die 
    I dunno. If metal turns into a boutique thing the way jazz or blues have where its just a bunch of upper class fart sniffers, I'll find something else. I definitely think the aura of metal will survive in some form, but I think it'll take form in stuff like noisy EDM or moshpit rap
    Honestly, I just dont feel like the song writing is there in newer metal releases. Theres no emotion or feeling behind it anymore. Very play by numbers 
    >metal
    >upper class 

idk what you're on. rock/metal has certainly influenced noisy edm and moshpit rap already, but I don't think we'll ever see a time where kids aren't playing extreme metal in dive bars.  
    I read a Gene Simmons interview a couple of days ago where he talks about rock dying and puts it on file sharing. He thinks bands don't have the ability to grow and make transcendent music because all of them have to work day jobs now. I usually consider Simmons a useless cretin, but he made good points
    I think musicianship is going the way of the dodo. It's getting where everyone just wants to buy a computer program to make music with. The analog experience lacks sufficient love