Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

-TOP ALBUMS OF 2017 THREAD-

Comments

• MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy
    DEATHSTAR said:
    I think musicianship is going the way of the dodo. It's getting where everyone just wants to buy a computer program to make music with. The analog experience lacks sufficient love
    this is something I can agree with or at least entertain. it'll always exist, but it's becoming less common to see refined musicianship in the mainstream light
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,558 spicy boy
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,794 spicy boy
    slap said:
    >metal
    >upper class 

idk what you're on. rock/metal has certainly influenced noisy edm and moshpit rap already, but I don't think we'll ever see a time where kids aren't playing extreme metal in dive bars.  
    Don't forget that jazz used to be something heroin addicted black people used to play. Now it's something they teach at prestigious music colleges. And as ubiquitous as metal seems to you guys, it hasn't been during my entire life. Most of extreme metal didn't exist til I was 10, so it's pretty easy for me to imagine a world without it
    DEATHSTAR said:
    slap said:
    >metal
    >upper class 

idk what you're on. rock/metal has certainly influenced noisy edm and moshpit rap already, but I don't think we'll ever see a time where kids aren't playing extreme metal in dive bars.  
    Don't forget that jazz used to be something heroin addicted black people used to play. Now it's something they teach at prestigious music colleges. And as ubiquitous as metal seems to you guys, it hasn't been during my entire life. Most of extreme metal didn't exist til I was 10, so it's pretty easy for me to imagine a world without it
    what does it matter that jazz musicians were on heroin? artists have always been on drugs or had demons. plus they were still really knowledgeable and practiced musicians. It's been seen as a sophisticated style of music since like 50's and 60's, once it was replaced as youth music by rock 'n' roll. metal (and specifically underground metal) and jazz can't really be compared. they come from completely different places. I can see why you'd think that classic rock, hard rock, and even iconic metal bands like Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Metallica, etc will be studied are gonna be studied in schools. In fact there are plenty of colleges that offer courses about these kinds of music. But it's never been seen as high art and it never will be. I think metal will always hold an element of danger, and that will continue to inspire people to play it. 
    slap said:
    DEATHSTAR said:
    I think musicianship is going the way of the dodo. It's getting where everyone just wants to buy a computer program to make music with. The analog experience lacks sufficient love
    this is something I can agree with or at least entertain. it'll always exist, but it's becoming less common to see refined musicianship in the mainstream light
    This is one place I will be a grumpy old man and blame millenials. So fucking lazy. Even with genres like hip hop there used to be some skill and technique that took a little bit of practice. Even with scratches being made digital, almost nobody does it anymore. Nobody learns how to sing, they just use this vocoder shit that's beat into the ground. The personality of individual artists is almost non-existant in surface pop. Somewhere along the line it became ok to just copy one-another, so now it's just this endless stream of plastic music performed by talent show contestants. I don't know how you guys deal. I was fortunate to grow up in an era where you got shit on for trying to sound like someone else and having a varied amount of musical knowledge was popular. People are still picking the 90s apart, discovering little sub genres of overlooked groups that were still more innovative than what's happening 20 years later. Shoegazer and trip hop are prime examples. I can't see that happening with much that's happened since 2000 because it's all been a bunch of fluff and regurgitation
    yeah dude, I get that. we've gotten to the point with music that was developing in the 70's ( (rock/metal/hip-hop etc) where all the new stuff is either a new interpretation of something that's already been done, a combination of different styles (mosh pit rap, blackgaze), or people are completely re-writing the rules and doing something different (as much as you might hate to hear it, lil b/lil yachty). it's similar to all the different modern music and post-modern music that started happening in the 20th century once classical/Western music practices started getting old and people had to think of something new to do. 
    slap said:
    DEATHSTAR said:
    slap said:
    >metal
    >upper class 

what does it matter that jazz musicians were on heroin? artists have always been on drugs or had demons. plus they were still really knowledgeable and practiced musicians. It's been seen as a sophisticated style of music since like 50's and 60's, once it was replaced as youth music by rock 'n' roll. metal (and specifically underground metal) and jazz can't really be compared. they come from completely different places. I can see why you'd think that classic rock, hard rock, and even iconic metal bands like Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Metallica, etc will be studied are gonna be studied in schools. In fact there are plenty of colleges that offer courses about these kinds of music. But it's never been seen as high art and it never will be. I think metal will always hold an element of danger, and that will continue to inspire people to play it. 
    I'm living in a world where dad rock fagz like Eddie Trunk are selling off metal piece by piece as nostalgia. Eventually, kids will forget what made it cool and dangerous. My son is 8 now and none of the kids at school even know what the fuck he's talking about when he tells them what he can play on the drums. I have to drive 45 minutes to a friend who has indoctrinated his sons with metal and punk like me to find anyone that can play with Roman. It's not looking good

Metal has always lent itself to the Will Kriss of the world to boost it's popularity. Those kids are 10x more likely to get into stuff like ICP now. I met a kid recently, looked like a goth, wore all black, long beard, introverted...He helps me and my brother move some shit out of my parents basement. He comes across a pair of shoes my brother got signed by Dillinger Escape Plan. Dude had no idea who they were. I had to explain them to him like he was a first grader. Blew my mind that he didn't listen to any rock music at all. He was a big Kendrick Lamar fan. Dudes like that used to be metal's bread and butter
    slap said:
    yeah dude, I get that. we've gotten to the point with music that was developing in the 70's ( (rock/metal/hip-hop etc) where all the new stuff is either a new interpretation of something that's already been done, a combination of different styles (mosh pit rap, blackgaze), or people are completely re-writing the rules and doing something different (as much as you might hate to hear it, lil b/lil yachty). it's similar to all the different modern music and post-modern music that started happening in the 20th century once classical/Western music practices started getting old and people had to think of something new to do. 
    I don't think I would hate Yachty so much if he actually had something to say. I can get around people making retarded music if there's some conviction to it. That's what made a lot of early punk so awesome. But that dude is just retarded. He's Wesley Willis without the excuse of schizophrenia
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,393 spicy boy
    DEATHSTAR said:
    Lol @ Jake being like "metal needs to innovate" then listening to rehashed 80s music

I mean...I get it, but it's still p funny
    Coming from the guy made the blanket statement that synth is 100% wholly inspired by video games your comment really doesnt hold much weight. 
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,484 spicy boy
    It may be inspired by the 80s, and popularized by video games, but its the freshest genre right now. These artists are exploding and changing the landscape of electronic and metal
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    DEATHSTAR said:
    slap said:
    DEATHSTAR said:
    slap said:
    >metal
    >upper class 

I'm living in a world where dad rock fagz like Eddie Trunk are selling off metal piece by piece as nostalgia. Eventually, kids will forget what made it cool and dangerous. My son is 8 now and none of the kids at school even know what the fuck he's talking about when he tells them what he can play on the drums. I have to drive 45 minutes to a friend who has indoctrinated his sons with metal and punk like me to find anyone that can play with Roman. It's not looking good

Metal has always lent itself to the Will Kriss of the world to boost it's popularity. Those kids are 10x more likely to get into stuff like ICP now. I met a kid recently, looked like a goth, wore all black, long beard, introverted...He helps me and my brother move some shit out of my parents basement. He comes across a pair of shoes my brother got signed by Dillinger Escape Plan. Dude had no idea who they were. I had to explain them to him like he was a first grader. Blew my mind that he didn't listen to any rock music at all. He was a big Kendrick Lamar fan. Dudes like that used to be metal's bread and butter
    yeah, I'm not claiming that metal will ever be as popular as it ever was in the 80s or 90s, or that it's even retaining any mainstream relevancy. But as somebody who lives near one of the country's (and the world's) most vibrant metal scenes, I still see young people showing interest in this music and pursuing it. And I completely understand where your concern is coming from. Now a days kids don't have to go to rock/metal concerts to mosh and listen to aggressive music. There's a lot of newer rap that has the dark and edgy quality to it.  soundcloud rap has that angle covered. there's so many rappers now-a-days that steal metal and occult aesthetic to seem dangerous or mysteries but just make a) three 6 mafia rip off joints or b) mumble bubble gum rap. There's rap that even jacks "goth" and "emo" aesthetic. Grab a barf bag and look up GOTHBOICLIQUE. Some of this shit is disgusting. 
    Sounds like Erik's music lmao
    edited September 2017
    Erik is 100% the kind of kid who makes that kind of music. grew up listening to rap, had a short metal phase listening to Warped tour/Mayhem festival bands, then went back to rap while retaining some of the dark aesthetic associated with rock/metal. Like down to a tee lol.
    Rutabaga said:
    DEATHSTAR said:
    Lol @ Jake being like "metal needs to innovate" then listening to rehashed 80s music

Coming from the guy made the blanket statement that synth is 100% wholly inspired by video games your comment really doesnt hold much weight. 
    I didn't say that. It was a discussion about why so many metal kids were embracing synth and I said video games...primarily because I feel like most music trends have a lot to do with gaming right now. I mean...you should've seen the traffic on the Ozzboards when Guitar Hero was big. I just think gaming is a legit gateway to stuff like that
    slap said:
    DEATHSTAR said:
    slap said:
    DEATHSTAR said:
    slap said:
    >metal
    >upper class 

yeah, I'm not claiming that metal will ever be as popular as it ever was in the 80s or 90s, or that it's even retaining any mainstream relevancy. But as somebody who lives near one of the country's (and the world's) most vibrant metal scenes, I still see young people showing interest in this music and pursuing it. And I completely understand where your concern is coming from. Now a days kids don't have to go to rock/metal concerts to mosh and listen to aggressive music. There's a lot of newer rap that has the dark and edgy quality to it.  soundcloud rap has that angle covered. there's so many rappers now-a-days that steal metal and occult aesthetic to seem dangerous or mysteries but just make a) three 6 mafia rip off joints or b) mumble bubble gum rap. There's rap that even jacks "goth" and "emo" aesthetic. Grab a barf bag and look up GOTHBOICLIQUE. Some of this shit is disgusting. 
    I get hints from pop culture sometimes that inform me to stuff like that. I'm pretty sure Eric Cartman already introduced me to emo rap lol
    Rutabaga said:
    Sounds like Erik's music lmao
    slap said:
    Erik is 100% the kind of kid who makes that kind of music. grew up listening to rap, had a short metal phase listening to Warped tour/Mayhem festival bands, then went back to rap while retaining some of the dark aesthetic associated with rock/metal. Like down to a tee lol.
    I gotta admit that I almost never listened to his music. He was always such a twat that even if it was goood I still would've hated it. He always seemed more interested in dressing up than making decent music anyway
    DEATHSTAR said:
    Rutabaga said:
    DEATHSTAR said:

I didn't say that. It was a discussion about why so many metal kids were embracing synth and I said video games...primarily because I feel like most music trends have a lot to do with gaming right now. I mean...you should've seen the traffic on the Ozzboards when Guitar Hero was big. I just think gaming is a legit gateway to stuff like that
    yeah you're right i misunderstood. I think your points were referring to what influences the fanbase itself (which i can fully admit video games are a driving force) while i was more talking about the musical influences of the artists themselves 
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,202 mod
    Rock music died cause of hip hop

hip-hop is dying too, it's just becoming edm