Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Metallica

Comments

• Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,405 spicy boy
    That song fucking sucks
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,003 master of ceremonies
    Tool> Metallica 
    Tool are better musicians.

But after being rail for both... Metallica was better live
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,003 master of ceremonies
    That song fucking sucks
    Bruh I have a tool tattoo and I managed to be bored during their set
    I was talking about sad but true. Idk why you trying to trigger me like that.

You saw tool in literaly the worst settinng you could choose though. Iv never seen them at a festival but most of what iv heard has been negative when its being compared to arena shows. Hell the band doesnt even like to play festivals lol, and the production crew hates them. 

Also sitting so close isnt the best way to experience their show. Its cool getting to see danny, justin, and adam work off of each other. As well as seeing maynard up close is pretty cool, but their shows are better when you can take in the whole stage show.

regardless the "whos better live" argument is pretty subjective. There are people out there who would argue nickleback is better than both lol. 
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Those people don't count. 

My issue with Tool is that they don't change the set. Regardless of not having seen them it is so odd to me people flock to their shows for them to play the same shit every time. In my mind I relate it to the twats that go to every jimmy buffet show it's just an excuse to get fucked up and look at some pretty lights 
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    They have changed the set every show i have seen them at technically. 

Only songs that have been played at every show are 

schism
    stinkfist
    46&2
    jambi

Ill keep flocking because IMO they have all been experiences that i havent gotten at any other shows. i just dont get the itch to see other bands like i do tool. Hell if i had to pick between seeing gojira or tool live in a few weeks id pick Tool lol.

• SATANSATAN Posts: 25,794 spicy boy
    edited September 2017
    It's sad that this is even up for debate. I've seen both several times and on peak tours. There aren't many bands that will ever best Metallica in catalogue, but Tool used to be "HOLY SHIT" level awesome live. Their tours for Aenema and Lateralus were God level. I've seen them 3 times since 10,000 Days came out and they were phoned in. I don't even care about a new album from them anymore because I don't think they're 100% into it
    Post edited by SATAN on
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,393 spicy boy
    Jobe said:
    Gary said:
    And talent wise they are pretty equal tbh..F & J shit is pretty good

<Infectious Grooves 

Cliff was the best of them, but his body of work was cut short and we will never know how high his potential truly was. We only got a small glimpse of what he would have been capable of. 
    Who knows how different metallica wouldve sounded in the 90s if Cliff was still in the band
  • Me_Me_ Posts: 13,701 salt miner
    I think about that a lot 
  • DimeDime Posts: 10,239 destroyer of motherfuckers
    It's always that wonder if he would have went with the radio rock route like they did or stuck up for himself and continued doing thrash. I honestly think Cliff would have quit by Load if he was still there. 
  • Stoned_CatzStoned_Catz Posts: 34,915 jayfacer
    yeah, idk 

[-(

blue turbins

From Those Fishes - I Fingered An Old Bitch (i got Aids on my finger)

• Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,439 moneytalker
    Rutabaga said:
    Jobe said:
    Gary said:
    And talent wise they are pretty equal tbh..F & J shit is pretty good

<Infectious Grooves 

Cliff was the best of them, but his body of work was cut short and we will never know how high his potential truly was. We only got a small glimpse of what he would have been capable of. 
    Who knows how different metallica wouldve sounded in the 90s if Cliff was still in the band

James has already brought all that up. 

http://loudwire.com/james-hetfield-cliff-burton-would-have-shown-resistance-to-metallicas-1990s-albums/
    Pass the god damn butter.

When Cliff came into the band he was obviously a very big influence, not just musically, but as a human being…

“Absolutely correct. Besides introducing us to more music theory, he was the most schooled of any of us, he had gone to junior college to learn some things about music, and taught us quite a few things. When Lars and I had seen him play with [Cliff’s previous band] Trauma, our jaws fell onto the floor, and we said, ‘We’ve got to get this guy.’ He and I aligned a lot closer as friends, as far as our activities, music styles that we liked, bands that we liked, politically, views on the world, we were pretty parallel on that wavelength. But, yeah, he had such a character to himself, and it was a very strong personality, he did creep into all of us eventually. And he’s missed greatly by this guy sitting here now.”

What would Cliff have made of some of the directions the band went in the 1990s? Beginning with The Black Album in 1991 up to the time of St Anger in 2003?

“Well, I certainly would have thought there would have been some resistance, for sure. I think The Black Album was a great album and I appreciate the fact that we did have the balls to do that and have [producer] Bob Rock to work with us. It had to be, it really did. You know, when I go back and I listen to [previous album] …And Justice For All, it couldn’t have stayed on that path. We needed to bring in another set of trusted ears. [But] I think Cliff would have probably interjected some different stuff, getting his bass heard and some more musically challenging things, probably. I would certainly think that the Load and Re-Load [era], I would have had an ally that was very against it all – the reinvention or the U2 version of Metallica.”

When you say 'an ally', you mean that you personally were not comfortable with that mid-90s period of the band's story?

“No, no, not at all. There’s some great, great songs on there but my opinion is that all of the imagery and stuff like that was not necessary. And the amount of songs that were written was… it diluted the potency of the poison of Metallica. And I think Cliff would have agreed with that.”

So by the time you got to St Anger, is that a new start for you or is that the end of the period you've just been describing?

“Well, I’m not sure. For me, St Anger kind of stands alone. It’s more of a statement than an album. It’s more of the soundtrack to the movie, in a way. There’s some really interesting and cool riffs, some great songs on there. But sonically it sounds fragmented, which is exactly where we were at the point. But in that fragmentation it brought us together. So it was a very necessary piece of the puzzle to get us where we are today.”

How much of Death Magnetic was to do with the fact that Rick Rubin (famous in recent years for taking artists like AC/DC and Johnny Cash back to what he sees as their true musical identity) was the producer, and how much was to do with the fact that Bob Rock (overseer of every Metallica album since and including The Black Album) wasn't the producer that time?

“I think it’s a combination of all that. I think Bob… we had gotten too comfortable with each other, especially going through all of the emotional draining of St Anger. It was good to move on. Rick Rubin is the exact opposite of Bob Rock. And the fact that we were able to sit down and write ourselves, do things for ourselves without Rick Rubin babysitting, that was where we were able to try our wings out again and fly as a band. So it was the right thing at the right time. Not to talk bad about Bob whatsoever, because he’s taken us places that we never would have gone before. We’ve learned so much from him.”

You were very open in the Some Kind Of Monster movie about coming to terms with your anger issues. Is it necessary, though, to retain a certain anger in order to feed your creativity as a songwriter?

“Ha ha ha! Well, that’s a great question. I think every person that goes through something like what I’ve gone through very much worries about that. But the creativity, it will come from where it has to come from. Anything can be digested and be spit out Metallica-like. I’m not gonna start writing about picking flowers now. When I’m happy I’m writing the heaviest riff possible. Being happy is not overrated. But also, there will always be anger issues with me, no matter what. There always seems to be another cool piece of the puzzle revealed.”

edited September 2017
    That's an eye-opening interview. It gives traction to the IT SHOULD'VE BEEN LARS opinion
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,558 spicy boy
    That song fucking sucks
    Bruh I have a tool tattoo and I managed to be bored during their set
    I can smell the fucking paper 
    DEATHSTAR said:
    It's sad that this is even up for debate. I've seen both several times and on peak tours. There aren't many bands that will ever best Metallica in catalogue, but Tool used to be "HOLY SHIT" level awesome live. Their tours for Aenema and Lateralus were God level. I've seen them 3 times since 10,000 Days came out and they were phoned in. I don't even care about a new album from them anymore because I don't think they're 100% into it
    Glad we have both a level head and a source to speak the truth. 
    He's not a millennial so heavy trustworthy and knows what's best. 
  • Me_Me_ Posts: 13,701 salt miner
    He's not a millennial 
    Means he has a ton more sense than you
    edited September 2017
    Did someone say something