Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Metallica suffering because of the bad economy

laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
edited May 2012 in News
So you think your favorite underground bands are the only ones suffering from the current shitty state of the music industry? Not so! Even fancy rockstars like the dudes in Metallica can’t live off of record royalty checks alone these days. As Kirk Hammett recently told Rolling Stone:

“The cycles of taking two years off don’t exist anymore. We were able to do that because we had record royalties coming in consistently. Now you put out an album, and you have a windfall maybe once or twice but not the way it used to be — a check every three months.”

Of course, it’s a little hard to feel sorry for Hammett when –

* Most people don’t get to take two years off from work, ever.
* Metallica’s royalty checks are probably still a gajillion times greater than those of, say, pretty much any other band in metal, or any other genre, for that matter.
* The amount of money Metallica makes from touring is still staggering — for example, the World Magnetic Tour in support of (duh) Death Magnetic was the tenth highest grossing tour of 2009, raking in $89.1 million according to Pollstar — and that doesn’t include merch sales. Even when you factor in taxes and the payroll for the group’s managers, attorneys, and road crew, it’s hard not to imagine that each dude in Metallica didn’t make a killing.
* Hammett’s San Francisco home (pictured above), which he purchased for $2.56 million in 1993, sold for $8,995,000 in 2009… which, to be fair, was less than the $12.5 million he was apparently asking for it. Sniff, sniff.

So, yeah. I know times are tough for everyone in the music biz right now, but, y’know, cry me a river, Kirk. Some people have actual problems right now.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/05/22/poor-metallica-cant-live-off-of-album-royalties-alone-anymore/

Comments

• SATANSATAN Posts: 25,794 spicy boy
    metalsucks is such a bunch of queers

i understand that people wanna harp on metallica suing napster 14 fuckin' years ago, but it goes too far most of the time. all kirk said is something that active musicians are having to deal with now. bfd

i wonder what the pretty boy poster's big problems are right now. mom took the mercedes back? cut off the trust fund? that whole site should kill themselves. false metal as fuck
  • NOLANOLA Posts: 6,353 jayfacer
    Without clicking on the link, let me guess....Axl Rosenberg wrote this?
    you guessed right
  • NOLANOLA Posts: 6,353 jayfacer
    the part that says "Some people have actual problems right now" has a link to the article about roadrunner europe closing. you know, cuz the people that sit in offices and leach off musicians are so much more important to the music industry that the guys that write the music and sacrifice normal social lives with constant touring. right axl?
  • TiradesOfTruthTiradesOfTruth Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Metal Sucks :-q
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    gaytallica has still never seen one cent from me, fuckers
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    the part that says "Some people have actual problems right now" has a link to the article about roadrunner europe closing. you know, cuz the people that sit in offices and leach off musicians are so much more important to the music industry that the guys that write the music and sacrifice normal social lives with constant touring. right axl?
    Whether you acknowledge it a lot, a label plays a large role in a band's success. I don't think you'll find very many people who really want an all DIY music world, but you'll find a lot more who think that the current system of music representation doesn't suit them. Labels need bands, but bands need labels too.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • Magson13Magson13 Posts: 1,584 just the tip
    He's not whining about it.......... It looks like he was asked a question about touring/writing albums, and this was his answer. Simple Q&A.
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    i feel bad for metallica. i guess they'll have to wipe their tears with 50 dollar bills instead of 100 dollar bills now. :-j
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    Piss off, Metallica.
    I love winning with women
  • ...... Posts: 31,548 master of ceremonies
    If they break up now at least we have the Loutallica album.
    Piss off, Metallica.
    inb4lists
    Idk why that quoted.
    inb4lists
    Whether you acknowledge it a lot, a label plays a large role in a band's success. I don't think you'll find very many people who really want an all DIY music world, but you'll find a lot more who think that the current system of music representation doesn't suit them. Labels need bands, but bands need labels too.
    At this point, I couldn't disagree more. Labels are only good for promotion and buying into tours these days. Most of the other perks they used to have in their favor are obsolete. Besides, I've never met a label rep that wouldn't kiss your ass to your face then shit on you behind your back if there's a promotion or pussy on the line. I won't mourn their passing at all. A lot of musicians feel that way.
  • die4dethklokdie4dethklok Posts: 29 salt miner
    I read that whole RS article. It features all four band members individually. What Kirk says is typical of the rest of the piece. They are hyping their fest and their upcoming 3D movie. I've got an idea for a title.......Spinal Tap 2; This Time It's For Real
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    At this point, I couldn't disagree more. Labels are only good for promotion and buying into tours these days. Most of the other perks they used to have in their favor are obsolete. Besides, I've never met a label rep that wouldn't kiss your ass to your face then shit on you behind your back if there's a promotion or pussy on the line. I won't mourn their passing at all. A lot of musicians feel that way.
    I agree, but you completely downplay the value of monetary backing and promotion. Sure, a lot of labels don't give a shit about you, but bands like Metallica were made by their label more than anything.

If you can't market your product, it usually doesn't matter how good it is. Take Cormorant, a band that I think has a great product and appeal, and in the event of a label willing to market them, I think they could grow to be a top band in the metal scene today. What separates them from a band like Emmure is their lack of a label, and thus, the lack of a marketing identity.

Look at what happened to Periphery or In Flames to see what a label can do for your band. It's a lot when it's done right.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    IO know you copped one of their albums beofre...
    Lars downloaded his own album.

inb4lists
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    IO know you copped one of their albums beofre...
    never.. i illegally downloaded every metallica song i own and i hardly listen to them anymore cuz they piss me off