Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Delaware Senator Praises Pending Legislation on nationwide Bath Salts Ban

sbs_willsbs_will Posts: 18,648 salt miner
edited June 2012 in Off Topic
http://gma.yahoo.com/bath-salts-dangerous-drug-inccreasing-across-us-065109986--abc-news-health.html

A Delaware senator praised pending legislation proposing a nationwide ban on "bath salts," a dangerous synthetic drug that's on the rise in the United States and might have led to the recent attack in Miami where a man allegedly ate off 80 percent of a homeless man's face.

"Dangerous drugs like bath salts are terrorizing our communities and destroying lives," Democratic Sen. Chris Coons said in a statement Monday. "Stricter measures must be taken to stem the growing prevalence of bath salts and other new designer drugs."

The number of calls to poison centers concerning "bath salts" rose 6,138 in 2011 from 304 in 2010, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers. More than 1,000 calls have been made so far this year.

These so-called bath salts, not to be confused with cleansing products, are an inexpensive, synthetic, super-charged form of speed. The drug consists of a potpourri of constantly changing chemicals, three of which -- mephedrone, MDPV and methylone -- were banned last year by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency.

Bath salts are still easily available online, though, and come in brand names such as "Purple Wave," "Zoom" or "Cloud Nine." A 50-milligram packet sells for $25 to $50.

The drugs create a condition police have come to call an "excited delirium" that makes users paranoid, violent and unpredictable. Miami police last month shot and killed a man who was allegedly feasting on the face of another homeless man in a daylight attack on a busy highway. Police are investigating whether the drugs found in bath salts were in the alleged attacker's system.

This case is not the first time police have had to respond to people high on the drug committing illegal acts or exhibiting dangerous behavior.

In July 2010, Carey Shane Padgett of Roanoke County, Va., allegedly beat his friend Cara Marie Holley to death. He later claims that he had ingested both bath salts and synthetic marijuana, or spice.

In April 2011, investigators determine that Army Sgt. David Stewart was under the influence of bath salts when he killed himself, his wife Kristy and their 5-year-old son in Spanaway, Wash.

Bay County Sheriff Frank McKeithen said he was disturbed by the affects that the drug had on the unidentified Florida teen who he witnessed high on bath salts in the back of a squad car.

"It's pretty devastating to think this kid was a normal kid walking around maybe the week before," McKeithen said.

In most cases, the active ingredient found in bath salts is a chemical known as metheylenedioxypyrovalerone, or MDPV for short. As far as the effects they have, bath salts are a central nervous system stimulant that acts something like a mix of methamphetamine and cocaine.

They dramatically increase the dopamine and norepinephrine levels in the human brain in two dangerous ways: by pouring more dopamine in as methamphetamine does, and at the same time, like cocaine, trapping both of these chemicals in the brain, so the user doesn't come down.

It's a dangerous situation, leading to a high that some drug abuse experts describe as up to 13 times more potent than cocaine. The altered mental status it brings can lead to panic attacks, agitation, paranoia, hallucinations and violent behavior.

"We certainly heard about people with extraordinary strength and you know we have seen that with PCP in the past," said Rusty Payne, spokesman for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

The combination can create desperation, and sometimes lead to naked ramblings and users hurting themselves, or others.

Louis J. De Felice, vice chairman of the Department of Physiology and Biophysics at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, said, "I can easily imagine how this can lead to a sensation, many different sensations. One would be you would like to tear your skin out, or ripping your clothes."

The number of calls to poison centers concerning "bath salts" rose 6,138 in 2011 from 304 in 2010, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, More than 1,000 calls have been made so far this year.

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency says that the affects of the drug are unknown, and can be dangerous. In June 2011, the DEA arrested 10 members of an alleged bath salts ring in a sting in New York.

"This is so new to us," DEA spokesman Rusty Payne said after the major bust. "In the last year it's just taken off in the U.S. We've never seen anything like it."

The Senate passed legislation last month to make the sale of bath salts illegal, and Coons, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, urged "the House-Senate conference committee to preserve the measure during its negotiations this month."

Comments

• mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    edited June 2012
    My idea. Put more harmful chemicals into any drugs ( and bath salts) like that that are causing people to do this shit that way it just kills them instead of turning them into zombies
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,794 spicy boy
    i'll never understand why people do drugs like this or pcp or anything else that just makes you fucked up, but not high/happy. i mean, what's the point?
  • Stoned_CatzStoned_Catz Posts: 34,915 jayfacer
    SUBSTANCE Tyrants strike again

[-(

blue turbins

From Those Fishes - I Fingered An Old Bitch (i got Aids on my finger)

its a proven scientific fact that nothing is more dangerous than alcohol

[-(

blue turbins

• fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    My idea. Put more harmful chemicals into any drugs ( and bath salts) like that that are causing people to do this shit that way it just kills them instead of turning them into zombies
    well the people who are making these drugs dont want to kill off their money supply
    well the people who are making these drugs dont want to kill off their money supply
    ape just hates drugs cuz he's never done them
    i hate special K, fuck that shit
    i liked k. the only drug i've ever tried that i didn't like was ecstasy, and it wasn't the high that bothered me but the comedown. the high was great, but the next day i'd be groggy and miserable.
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Ape thinks people who want to kill their body doing things like bath salts, pcp, and heroin should be put to death quicker than what the drugs currently allow.

Ape thinks things like weed are not bad just chooses not to do them.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    i always liked e but i know what your saying about the comedown from it. i was told after,that the amount of k i did was much more then i should have. i just cut a big line like it was blow and went to town.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    i'll never understand why people do drugs like this or pcp or anything else that just makes you fucked up, but not high/happy. i mean, what's the point?
    Well, I"d say there are two main reasons why people do drugs. One is to be happy, and the other is to totally disassociate from reality, and I think some people like the disassociation from reality part of drugs like LSD, and then want to take it another step further.
    i liked k. the only drug i've ever tried that i didn't like was ecstasy, and it wasn't the high that bothered me but the comedown. the high was great, but the next day i'd be groggy and miserable.
    5 HTP.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
    i think peo[ple eat other peoplez faces because theyre paranoid of the COPS which in turn COPS should be illegal

[-(

blue turbins

• HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I didnt like K, shit gave me a fucking anxiety attack. But youre right about fucking E, tbh i loved the E high, i would just rub like my own neck for hrs and it would feel fucking great. pussy on E, da bomb.. but the next day i wanted to fucking kill myself. I pretty much stopped doing it cause of that.
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    edited June 2012
    i think peo[ple eat other peoplez faces because theyre paranoid of the COPS which in turn COPS should be illegal
    that was actually my senior thesis
    :-j

[-(

blue turbins

• knitlerknitler Posts: 96 salt miner
  • sbs_willsbs_will Posts: 18,648 salt miner
    What kind of name brands do "bath salts" even come in? Until two days ago, I thought people were just railing bath salts for the tub, but apparently not.
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    "Dangerous drugs like bath salts are terrorizing our communities and destroying lives"

Attack of the killer bath salts!

im pretty sure it's the people taking this shit that are responsible. i get what he meant but IMO it's rediculous to ban bath salts because of this. people are always gonna do dumb shit whether it's legal or not. the people getting whacked out on bath salts are just gonna go find something else that's legal to buy to get high.
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,393 spicy boy
    "Dangerous drugs like bath salts are terrorizing our communities and destroying lives"

Attack of the killer bath salts!

im pretty sure it's the people taking this shit that are responsible. i get what he meant but IMO it's rediculous to ban bath salts because of this. people are always gonna do dumb shit whether it's legal or not. the people getting whacked out on bath salts are just gonna go find something else that's legal to buy to get high.
    Lrn2read

These so-called bath salts, not to be confused with cleansing products, are an inexpensive, synthetic, super-charged form of speed. The drug consists of a potpourri of constantly changing chemicals, three of which -- mephedrone, MDPV and methylone -- were banned last year by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency.
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    it was too long though :-< :-< :-<
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie